Below is an actual copy of a WPA cemetery recording, transcribed to HTML in the same format as appearing on paper.
To the east of Route #9, .5 miles from Occoquan, Virginia, taking Route #9 at Occoquan and going one fourth mile, thence east towards the river about two hundred feet from any cleared spot to the left of the river's edge.
Said to be over a hundred years old.
This appears to have been a part of the Champe grant from the Proprietor's Office, later sold to John Ballandine, and then coming into the hands of Henry Selecman. There is a record in Deed Book 37, folio 245, recording the sale of a tract of land here by William Selecman; the estate of Henry Selecman was sold to Corintha S. Giles; this was In 1887 and the graveyard was reserved. It appears to have been private property.
It covers a large area, and there are several lots enclosed by iron fences, now rusted, and the gates are impossible to open. One lot is surrounded by a brick wall, but there is not a stone within that has any inscription. The honeysuckle and periwinkle are so thick that many of the stones are completely hidden, and it is only by stumbling over them that they are found. The thick growth and almost semidarkness make it very difficult to decipher the inscriptions that remain. It is located on a bluff by the side of the river, and directly opposite the Lorton Reformatory across the river.
6. HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE:
The following are the inscriptions that it was possible to read:
8. SOURCES OF INFORMATION: Informants:
Research made by
Obituaries and Death Notices
- Pennsylvania Obituary Records, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com
- Find Pennsylvania Death Records in Newspapers, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Funeral Notices, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com